The Technical Editor works as a resource specialist in writing, cataloging, and maintaining business and technical publications. The person creates, writes, and edits publications to include reports, manuals, briefs, proposals, procedures, and related materials, and conducts interviews with subject experts to understand and present technical materials and parameters of technical content and the presentation of such content.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Organizing and writing required technical and business material using word processing software per establish corporate standards with respect to order, style, terminology, and sequencing
- Reviewing publications and recommending revisions or changes in approache, scope, format, methods of production and dissemination; maintaining corporate standards for publications
- Consulting with technical team leads and subject matter experts to ensure common understanding of publications and related materials to be produced
- Developing cataloging systems, and maintaining records, files, electronic media and archiving of information for publications in a business unit for corporate references
- Selecting or recommending use of layouts, graphics, drawings, tables, exhibits, illustrations, charts, or storyboards to amplify or clarify publications objectives
- Periodically auditing and reviewing publications to determine whether format or content changes/updates are required; meeting with subject matter experts for concurrence regarding content changes
- Remaining current on new developments in technical writing, editing, and publishing included technological enhancements which may affect the corporation
- Assisting in preparing material for technical seminars and business forums. May be called upon to assist in technical or business presentations in such meetings as business or customer needs require
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, publications, or a technical field
- Master’s degree and editorial certification is preferred
- 3+ years writing/editing experience in a professional writing position
- Incumbents must also possess competency in word processing, spreadsheets, database management, and graphics production software
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” relationship.