The Store Manager is responsible for establishing and maintaining Guest Services and overseeing the operation of the store to ensure maximum sales and profitability through merchandise, inventory, and expense control, human resources management, and management of operating costs and shrinkage.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Ensuring that each Guest receives outstanding Guest Service by providing a friendly environment; this includes greeting and acknowledging every Guest, maintaining outstanding standards, and having solid product knowledge
- Analyzing and measuring business trends; developing and implementing plans to maximize sales and meet or exceed goals and objectives
- Controlling shrink, expenses, and payroll
- Ensuring appropriate merchandise stock levels, merchandise adjacencies and presentations, signing and assortment in all departments; ensuring selling floor is adequately stocked
- Comparison shopping and reporting results; sharing information with Supervisor and making appropriate price adjustments
- Reviewing department/store trends and recommending and initiating changes for maximizing goals and objectives
- Ensuring compliance with all policies and procedures through regular store management and staff meetings, store walk-through and audits, etc.
- Continually evaluate and react to performance issues and actively recruit management candidates
- Train and develop store management in all aspects of the business; direct and monitor training and development for all store personnel
- Any other responsibilities as assigned by Supervisor
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- 5+ years previous retail or customer service experience, with 2+ years in a management role
- · High school diploma or G.E.D. preferred, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Proven understanding of industry standards and trends
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as department manual
- · Excellent customer service skills and the ability to diffuse tense situations
- · Demonstrated ability to manage employees with varying shifts and responsibilities
- Willingness to cover shifts and responsibilities of other employees as needed
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
The Store Manager position requires the ability to process information and merchandise through the computer system and POS register system; the ability to communicate with associates and guests; the ability to read, count and write to accurately complete all documentation; the ability to freely access all areas of the store including selling floor, stock area, and register area; the ability to operate and use all equipment necessary to run the store; the ability to climb ladders; and the ability to move or handle merchandise throughout the store generally weighing up to 50 pounds.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” relationship.