A software engineer will develop, create, and modify general computer applications software or specialized utility programs. The role will analyze user needs and develop software solutions. This position will design software or customize the software with the aim of optimizing operational efficiency. May analyze and design databases within an application area, working individually or coordinating database development as part of a team. May develop and write computer programs to store, locate, and retrieve specific documents, data, and information.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Correct errors by making appropriate changes and rechecking the program to ensure that the desired results are produced
- Conduct trial runs of programs and software applications to be sure they will produce the desired information and that the instructions are correct.
- Perform or direct revision, repair, or expansion of existing programs to increase operating efficiency or adapt to new requirements
- Consult with managerial, engineering, and technical personnel to clarify program intent, identify problems, and suggest changes.
- Perform systems analysis and programming tasks to maintain and control the use of computer systems software as a systems programmer
- Compile and write documentation of program development and subsequent revisions, inserting comments in the coded instructions so others can understand the program.
- Consult with and assist computer operators or system analysts to define and resolve problems in running computer programs.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- Associates degree required; Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science from an accredited college or university preferred; or equivalent education/experience in the computer science field
- Minimum of three years’ experience in computer programming or relevant experience
- Extensive experience in Local and Wide Area Networks
- Extensive experience with personal computers and software applications
- Extensive knowledge of the Microsoft Office, particularly Excel Spreadsheets
- Excellent computer skills using 10-Key by touch and ability to type 40 WPM
- Able to quickly and accurately type and enter data; knowledge of touch typing system preferred
- Must possess proficient ability to communicate in English in oral and written format
- Ability to apply discretion and trust with confidential material
- Ability to effectively apply analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent time managing skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize, and meet deadlines
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” relationship.