Proofreaders and Translators are responsible for translating, reviewing, and editing copies and transcripts to ensure there are no spelling, grammatical, or typographical errors or mistakes before returning the copy to relevant writers, editors, or typists for final review. Must check page layout and spacing for proper printing. Assist in administrative tasks as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assist in proofreading book galleys for up to fifty books a year
- Assist in copyediting book manuscripts
- Assist with telephone inquiries, sending out, author copies, maintaining office records, and responding to mail
- Assist in administrative responsibilities for the Linguistics Department
- Assist in other tasks as needed
- Marketplace knowledge
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- Knowledge of English grammar and punctuation
- Excellent copyediting and proofreading skills
- Meticulous attention to detail, commitment to producing quality product, deadline conscious
- Familiarity with some aspects of book production and other print media, newspaper proofreader experience a plus
- Experience with Microsoft Word, other computer experience a plus
- Some knowledge of fantasy and science fiction literary genres
- Four-year degree with concentration in English or Journalism a plus
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee should have the ability to sit for long periods of time, have the ability to sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb and carry and hold up to 25 pounds. Vision requirements include close vision and the ability to focus. Must be able to read at a college level. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” relationship.